Monday, December 14, 2015

One Earth, the back

One Earth, the back

I decided it would be interesting to piece the back.  I had 4 big white quadrants left over from the front that I wanted to use for the center here.  So, I pieced the back using about 6" squares from these lovely pastels that were included in my fat quarter stacks from Hoffman Fabrics. 
I opted to replace the darker purples with gray and then made 4 of these sets to look like this:
That big grey line is where my two design walls meet....
Next I pressed a freezer paper template to each section and cut them out like so:
Next, they were stitched with the white circles, another giant drunkard's path block, and the 4 blocks were stitched together:
I LOVE the effect!  Very pretty!  Also, I always make my backs bigger than the fronts, to allow for some shifting while quilting.  So after quilting and trimming to the front of the quilt, it looks more like this (except the colors are a bit duller in this photo, I don't know why...):
And, I kind of like the trimmed off edges.  And though it was lined up when I basted it, you can see a subtle distortion and uneven shapes on the edges.  It doesn't bother me, even though I thought it would.  It is part of what happens when you quilt in a spiral.  Here's a close up of the quilting:
Luscious!  I love the side angle view too!
And, if you are wondering, I don't always put something interesting on the backs.  It just depends on the quilt.  I have a giant quilt waiting for it's turn to be quilted and it has just a solid piece of fabric on the back.  I am not kidding! :)

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: