Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Stashbusters: using up the Red and Aqua

Stashbusters: using up the Red and Aqua
Red Heart Trapped by Icy Blue


On my quest to start using up my fabric stash (vs. letting it sit unused in boxes for years and years....), I have a new top completed. This was an experiment in asymmetry, though there are symmetrical elements about it.  I also decided to mix it up a bit with a pop of red, just to see what it looked like.  I am still not sure if I like it or not.  I would love to hear your opinions!

I enjoyed working the strips in smaller blocks.  This top was made with 4 big blocks, as opposed to one giant block that kept growing as in the Big Blue stashbuster here.

Though you might have seen this coming, I did not.  I was singly focused on making the quilt tops without a care in the world.  Now....I need backs for these two big blue quilts, and I can't decide what to choose.  I thought of just purchasing some wide fabric to use for the backs, but it kind of defeats the purpose of getting rid of what I already have.  I thought of just using this quilt as the back for the other one.  They are almost the same size.  However, aesthetically, it is not working for me.  Why do I have to care???  But I do.

Then, I will need to quilt these big quilts. Not ready for that yet.  I will get to it, but for now, I am working on more quilt tops and see what happens.  Stay tuned!



3 comments:

Gale Wrigley said...

I like this a lot. The asymmetrical design is working. As for the backings, pieced backs are wonderful. I often use up remaining pieces, long strips, fat quarters, etc, until the backing is big enough. I agree that purchasing backing would defeat the purpose. So many of us are at the point of wanting to bust our stash by actually using it that it's always encouraging to see the work others are doing. I'm already looking forward to a post on what you do for the backs.

Kathy York said...

Thanks Gale! When I get to making the backs, I will definitely post about it!

sarah makes pictures said...

It pops! I applaud your bold choices in color and composition.